About Me

My photo
Alabama
I am a fitness loving, home schooling, fan fic writing, online gaming, weight lifting, running when and where I can kind of mom...I love my kids and husband, and wouldn't trade my life for anything!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Momma has new shoes!

  This week has not been the best.  Honestly, today I am not even going to bother getting dressed in my workout gear, which is somewhat depressing. It has just been a week where every day, something comes up that has a greater requirement of my attention, than my health.  I know it can come with the "mom package," but I am going to be selfish Friday, and will be claiming tomorrow afternoon for myself.  Given the amount of times I have been in workout gear, heading out the door, only to be stopped, I can honestly say it is NOT for lack of trying!

   Now that my vent is over, I can get on to what I REALLY wanted to write about!

   This past Saturday, I bought myself a shiny new pair of running shoes!  The tennis shoes I have been wearing were really not meant to keep up with the amount of running I usually do.  Really, they were not meant to be running shoes at all.  However, they held up beautifully and performed their job well. So it was past time to get some good running shoes for myself.
   If you're in the market for a pair, I suggest you pay a visit to McCoy Outdoor Co.  The employees there are very knowledgeable about running.  The lady who worked with me had me take off my shoes and socks, and walk for her.  She was spot on when she said that I have flat feet (which I do) and that my ankles tend to roll outward to compensate for the lack of arch.  This also is true, which is why my left ankle has never fully healed from the ligament injury it suffered when I was thirteen.  She was also able to tell what part of my foot takes the most impact when I run, by watching me run a short distance, and also informed me that I need to shorten my stride ever so slightly.
    Within minutes she brought out some New Balance running shoes for me to try on.  On a side note, I am a big fan of New Balance, they are worth the price if you ask me!  The way these are designed, they will help stabilize my ankles, so that they do not roll outward.  In turn, this will correct my posture and form, which will alleviate some of the aches and pains I get when I run.
   To give you an idea of HOW well she knew her stuff, she was able to guess perfectly where I was experiencing pain.  My lower back, the area just below my knee cap, my inner thighs, the outer part of my ankle (just above the heel) and the sides of my foot, where she also correctly guessed that I have developed blisters and calluses.  Needless to say, I was impressed.
   I tried on the shoes, and I could tell an immediate difference.  Not only did it feel better just to stand in the shoes, but the skin where the blister had been on the side of my foot did not hurt for the first time that week. Despite cringing at the price (even with the 10% discount she gave me as encouragement for going back to college), it was well worth it.  We both considered this an investment in to my health and well being.  Too anxious to wait, I went on my first run as soon as we got home.
   Her predictions of where I would feel sore were true, of course.  My legs not only need to get used to the new shoes, but also the improved form since my ankles were no longer rolling out when I ran.  I could definitely feel the improved stability, and it felt amazing.  I even got brave enough to run through the wooded trails at Cottage Hill Park, something I have not done in a very long time.
   I forgot how much I missed running in the woods.  For a lover of fantasy novels, wooded trails are like super fuel for the imagination.  It is easy to turn on some fantasy inspired music, and just let your imagination go.  Nice as the park is, it is hard to do that when you're on a cement trail, surrounded by people.  The solitary quiet of the woods really makes for an amazing run!

    With any luck, tomorrow will find me in my new shoes, running to my heart's content.  I really do begin to go a little crazy when I can not get in a workout or run after a few days.  My body just feels, for lack of a better word, "blah," and I find myself staring at my shoes longingly.  Come Hell or high water, I am going to workout!

Oh, I almost forgot, here are my new shiny shoes.  Thank you to my parents and husband, who helped me out in getting these!  Love the purple, yellow, and silver color of the shoes!


Love and well wishes to all on this first day of November!

Kristina

2 comments:

  1. I (Dad) just facilitated the transfer of funds, but it was both Mom and Dad who gladly helped you with the new shoes so you can continue to pursue your goals. Enjoy the run, and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete