About Me

My photo
Alabama
I am a fitness loving, home schooling, fan fic writing, online gaming, weight lifting, running when and where I can kind of mom...I love my kids and husband, and wouldn't trade my life for anything!

Thursday, October 18, 2012

ENOUGH ALREADY!

  It has definitely NOT been one of my better months.  I know part of the issue is that, with a slightly tighter budget the last few weeks, we have not been eating as well as we should.  Unfortunately, I have been hit with issue after issue that has kept me from working out the way I want to, so if you combine that with our less than stellar diet as of late, it makes for a very unhappy mix.
   First off, my knee braces keep popping off!  I am guessing it is a combination of the deterioration of the Velcro, and the muscle I have built up with all the running.  Needless to say, it makes going for a run a bit of a challenge, because my knees hurt without my patella straps.  Not only am I having technical difficulties with the straps, my shoes are starting to die on me. Poor things have been put through as much hell as my knee straps! So until I can go out and purchase new shoes and straps, I am pretty limited in my running.  Which stinks, let me tell you!
    On top of that, I've had to deal with shin splints and a slow recovery from bronchitis, both of which make running even more of a challenge.  If you have ever tried to run with bronchitis, do not do it.  I could not figure out why my run went so poorly last week, until I finally paid a visit to the doctor.  A round of antibiotics later, I am feeling much better, but because of the lack of running for almost a month, and a combination of sore legs and not-yet-recovered lungs, a mile and a half run had me wiped out on Monday.  It didn't help that my chest and shoulders began to hurt from the "lovely leftovers" of the crud.

   To top it all off, I've gained 3 pounds, and I'm back up to 190.

   In other words, I'm pretty frustrated right now.  Today was the first day I felt able to get in a good cardio heavy workout, but I was unable to do so because the apartment was in dire need of housework, and I had to work a shift at church.  Come hell or high water tomorrow, I'm going to get a workout!  I love walks, and had a nice one today, but I really want something to get my heart pumping, and sweat pouring.  I am also keeping fingers crossed that I can get a pair of knee straps tomorrow.
    As desperate as I am for a good run, though,  I know I have to be realistic about how it will likely go.  That is something I want everyone to keep in mind, when you are hit with your own issues.  Getting back in to a workout routine, regardless of why you stopped, is not easy.  It certainly will not be for me.  I'm just now feeling better after a three week period, which is a long time to break from your regular workout routine.  While I have kept up minor exercise, it is not enough to really replace what I was doing before hand.  I have to keep in mind that my run may not be stellar.  If a mile and a half is all I can manage, then it is all I can manage.
     And while I was looking forward to the 5k on October the 27th, I have to be realistic about my physical abilities, and wait until November to run my first race.  It is disappointing.  However, we would not have been able to go anyway.  You see, it is the fall festival day at the church pumpkin patch.  There will be pony rides, and a fire truck.  All other events in the world are now irrelevant, in comparison to the desires of two 3 year old children!  So, it makes the decision to not run the race a little less frustrating, because we would not have been able to go anyway.
 
   As I have said before, slow and steady will be my pace.  I am going to take my time and ease back in to my old workout routine.  As frustrated as I am now, I know that if I just sit and bemoan the bad luck of the last 3 weeks, that I will be even more frustrated down the road.  It is time to reset the clock, and get myself ready for the next 5k race, and hopefully quickly get back in to the swing of things.  At one point, I would have allowed these set backs to become excuses to just give up.  I refuse to do that now.  I have come too far to let myself slide back.  It also strikes me how much I have changed, because I am frustrated and stressed over my lack of ability to exercise at the intensity that I am used to.  A little under a year ago, I would have enjoyed the excuse not to exercise.  Now, not being able to work out, is like not being able to relax!  I did not realize how much I rely upon my running and elliptical work outs to give me a break from the world, until I was not able to do either!

You don't know what you've got until it is gone...I will never take my work outs for granted again!

With love, and a little bit of frustration,
Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment