About Me

My photo
Alabama
I am a fitness loving, home schooling, fan fic writing, online gaming, weight lifting, running when and where I can kind of mom...I love my kids and husband, and wouldn't trade my life for anything!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Travels and triumphs

   We had an amazing weekend at Gulf State Park!  Well, that is until we had to rush our last day plans, and book it out of Gulf Shores to head home and prepare for a hurricane...which turned out to be totally unnecessary for us.  I was so excited about getting in a run along some of the trails in the state park, so it was a major bummer when we had to leave early on Sunday.

    Still, all things considered, it was a great time!  My kids have a new love in their lives.  Splash pad.  I don't think I have ever seen them so excited!  Meanwhile, the hubby and I took some time to swim a few laps in the pool next to the pad.  Let me tell you, for a very inexperienced swimmer it was a massive workout.  Four laps across the pool had me worn out!  Now, to be fair, it was a fairly long pool.  Needless to say, I think I may start swimming laps more often.  I had no idea how great a workout it can be!

    We also had a chance to take the kids on their first fishing trip, and I have to say they are naturals!  They both caught two fish during the trip with toy fishing poles. Heck Ayden managed to hook one without even attaching bait.  Not sure if that was luck, talent, or a really dumb fish.  Perhaps a combo of the three?

    Not going to lie, my diet was less than stellar on our vacation.  Hooters wings and drinks on Friday night.  Yummy, but the calories in my drinks alone probably were enough to last the weekend! I also had way too much access to my weakness; Famous Amos cookies. Alas, my love for the tiny cookies nearly did me in!  And I indulged in a cholesterol fest at Waffle House on our way out of Gulf Shores.  However, I was pleased to find that I was able to keep up with my smaller portions.  Not too long ago, I could put away close to 20 wings, and almost a  full bowl of fries at Hooters.  I was only able to eat 8 wings, and maybe half the fries this time.  I was very proud of myself!  I also had a couple of chances to eat out in addition to the two times we went, but opted not to.

    So to make up for what we did it, I made sure to get in a good run the next day, before the storm started to come in.  I managed another 3 miles at Cottage Hill Park, but I am still having to stop for 20 second "breath breaks" more often than I would like.  I am now consistently running 3 miles outside, and 4 miles on the indoor track at church, so now I just need to work on reducing the number and duration of the breaks I am taking during my runs.

   Despite the wings and waffles, swimming in the pool and in the ocean and my run on Monday finally put me over the plateau I have been stuck on.

I BROKE THE 200 MARK!

    Yep, as of Tuesday morning, I am officially 198 pounds.  This means I have lost 62 pounds total.  To give you an idea of how much that is, a jug of water weighs about 25 pounds.  I've lost over two jugs of water.  It is weird to actually see a physical representation of what I have lost.  I have a good feeling my knees are thanking me.  Well, actually they ARE thanking me, with less pain and stiffness.

    I'll be signing up for my church 5k in November, and possibly the 5k at the battle ship as well.  Now that I am running outside more often, it hit me that I am getting closer and closer to being ready to run the 5k!  I'm pretty excited about it.  It won't be too long before I will be running a full 10k.  I am hoping I can get ready for it, by the time the Azalea Trail Run rolls around. At the rate I have been going, I am pretty confident that I'll be able to do it!

    I'm off for now.  Time to get dressed and ready for another run!  It's funny, not too long ago you would literally have to drag me out the door kicking and screaming to go work out, and even then I would barely put a decent amount of effort in to it.  But now, if I don't get at least one run in a week, I get so moody, I don't know what to do with myself!  Running and exercise has gone from a chore, to a part of my day that I really look forward to.  I think that is why I have been able to maintain my weight loss for the first time ever.  I finally realized that I enjoyed exercise.  Took me long enough!

   I'll leave you with some progress pics, and a few from our trip this weekend!



Catching Fish with daddy!

My first fish!
Fun at the beach!

Playing with my new beach toys!
Loving my new swim suit by the way :-D



Think they're having fun?

198 pounds--my face is slimming down fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment