About Me

My photo
Alabama
I am a fitness loving, home schooling, fan fic writing, online gaming, weight lifting, running when and where I can kind of mom...I love my kids and husband, and wouldn't trade my life for anything!

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Humidity sucks.

     I always hate reading those headlines or Facebook posts that read r "Running in humidity isn't hard." Oh, my personal favorite is that "it is just mind over matter."  Uh huh, my body would like to say that it finds the humidity to be quite real, and definitely not something that is just all in my head.  Science, thankfully, agrees.
     When you run, you sweat, or at least I hope you do.  How it works is that the sweat cools our body down when it evaporates off our skin.  That's the problem with humidity.  Because the moisture content is so high, the sweat just sticks around.  Couple that with a lack of breeze, and you're not going to have any hope of cooling down, at least not to the extent you would on a day with less humidity.
    I also struggle to breathe with humidity, seriously struggle.  Even people with healthy lungs can find some small amount of restriction to their airways, but people with traditional Asthma or Exercise Induced Asthma will really feel it, because the elevated heat causes airway constriction just as cold dry air.  I can go do a five mile run on an inside track with air conditioning, and feel great.  But even late at night, a two and three quarter mile run leaves me gasping for breath.  Even running a full mile without stopping is hard because within minutes of starting, my chest and shoulders get sore from trying to hard to pull air into my lungs. It makes for a miserable run if I don't use my inhaler. So if you have one, be sure to use it prior to your run!
    On top of that, it can be very dangerous, even for those conditioned to run in the heat like this.  Choose to run during the cooler parts of the day such as early morning or, if you feel safe doing so, after sun set.  If all else fails, you can run on a treadmill or an indoor track.  That is unless you are stubborn like me!  I insist on running outside, no matter how much I hate the humidity because I get absolutely bored to tears on an indoor track, and end up psyching myself out into a bad run.
      Most of all, try to be patient with yourself.  I know that I get incredibly frustrated this time of year when I am unable to run as far, as fast, or as long as I do during the cooler seasons.  I often feel like I am regressing instead of making the progress that I was hoping for.  At least until I run on an indoor track, and realize that pushing myself through the humidity has actually helped condition me to be stronger.  It is so hard to feel the progress you are making in the miserable temperatures of summer, but I can promise you that if you are running regularly, you ARE making progress.  Humidity just does a really good job of hiding it.
    Which brings me to my final point.  The really big issue with heat and humidity is not how it affects your run quality, though my frustration would say otherwise, but it is instead the danger of heat related illness. If you've ever had a bad night of cramping after a run during a hot day, you have experienced Heat cramps.  They can come on during or after a run, and they are miserable.  I had one last year that pretty much left a knot in my leg for three days.  If you're having these cramps, I would highly suggest some Gatorade and a banana.  Nothing helps heat cramps more, at least in my experience!   Before your next run, be sure to charge up on fluids, because heat cramps can easily become something worse.

 Heat exhaustion, though scary, usually doesn't require a trip to the ER, yet it is not to be taken lightly. Without treatment it can progress quickly to heat stroke.  If you suspect heat exhaustion then it is time to stop.  Go inside into a cooler area, or if possible, a place with air conditioning.  Drink lots of fluids, but avoid caffeinated drinks or alcohol which can dehydrate you further.  Remove any unnecessary clothing as well as shoes and socks.  A cool shower, ice packs, ice towels, or other cooling measures would also help.  Heat exhaustion can also last more than a couple of days, so take it easy for a while and let your body recover!

 Heat Exhaustion:

  • Nausea
  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Severe muscle cramps
  • Weakness
  • Confusion
  • Drenching sweat and clammy skin
  • Slow/Weak heartbeat 
  • Dizziness 
  • Fainting

     Heat Stroke does require medical treatment because it can be life threatening. It can also come on without warning, so the best thing you can do is prevention.  Again, fluids fluids fluids! The most important thing to do for a victim of heat stroke is to get them cool while you wait for help to arrive. Generally the First Aid is the same as for heat exhaustion, with the addition of direct air flow on the victim from a fan, and ice packs to their arm pits, neck, groin, and back where the blood vessels are closest to the skin.  It would also be wise to monitor their temperature while you await medical help.  If their temperature does not go down, or continues to rise, you can apply further cooling measures until help arrives. 

Heat Stroke:
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Headache
  • Vertigo
  • Flushed or dry skin
  • Lack of sweating
  • Increase in urination
  • Shortness of breath
  • Elevated body temperature
  • Confusion or delirium
  • Loss of consciousness 
  • Convulsions 
    
   So the lesson of the day?  Well, actually there is more than one.  First lesson is to drink lots and lots of fluids.  Fluids are a runner's best friend this time of year.  Second lesson is to make yourself aware of the symptoms and treatment of each level of heat related illness.  Last, and certainly not least, is that you should not be too hard on yourself.  If the heat saps your energy and ruins a run, just remember that you made progress, even if it doesn't feel like it.  I would suggest at least one run a week inside on either an indoor track or a treadmill to show yourself that you're doing better than you realize.

   Stay cool my friends, and take care of yourselves please! With any luck, we'll soon find ourselves with cooler temperatures and the beautiful running weather that comes with Fall.

Kristina


No comments:

Post a Comment