About Me

My photo
Alabama
I am a fitness loving, home schooling, fan fic writing, online gaming, weight lifting, running when and where I can kind of mom...I love my kids and husband, and wouldn't trade my life for anything!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The journey so far.



       I am closing in on the one year point of my weight loss journey.  I suppose now you could really say it is more of a life transformation journey.  Somewhere along the way this became more than just getting healthier, and looking better.  It really became a personal challenge to improve myself in as many ways as possible.  I see positive changes in numerous areas of my life now, in places I did not even think about originally.  I did not really put a time line on how quickly I wanted to lose the weight, I simply just said I would do it. 83 pounds in eight months is something I can definitely be proud of.  I'm steadily approaching my big goal of losing 120 pounds.  It is like losing an entire person!  But transforming myself in body and mind in just a year, that is something I am truly proud of.
   From here, where I will go, I don't know.  I think it will become less about weight lost, and more about things gained.  I promised myself when I reached 140 pounds, I would ease some of the focus away from the scale, and spend more time focusing on physical achievements like races.  There is so much I want to do and try.  So many other things that I want to achieve.  I want to look back on this year, and use it as a standard, by which I set my goals in the future.  I know that great things are ahead of me.  When I started out, I viewed this year as an ending.  It was an ending to my overweight days, my obesity, my unhealthy life.
     Now I realize that it was a beginning.  I have found a great purpose not just in improving myself, but helping others to do the same.  I initially began this blog to really just document my feelings.  To help me sort through all the changes I would experience.  Now it has grown to be something much more.  I've had opportunities come my way to share my story outside of this blog and my Facebook. I've made new friends along my journey, and reconnected with old friends over a shared desire to be healthier.  I have to believe that there is more to this than what I have experienced so far.  I do not know what the next year is going to bring.  I don't know what I will do, or where I may go. I just know that I am going to continue.  I'm excited to see where this journey takes me, and even a little scared.
    All this talk of a journey, of unknown paths, brings to mind a song from Lord of the Rings.  I have always liked it, and often think of it when I go for a run. Like I have said before, I am most definitely a nerd, and I enjoy thinking of fantasy stories when I work out.  It helps to pass the time.  This song speaks about setting off on a journey.  The road is long, and you do not exactly what lies ahead, but you still pursue it eagerly.  Who or what you  may meet remains a mystery.  That is what makes up the adventure.  That is what makes it worth the journey!

    The road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow if I can,

    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then?  I cannot say.
         -J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

    That song has always been a favorite, but more now, than ever.  It is so wild to see where I started, and to see where I am now. I still have a long way to go, I still have a lot of road to explore.  I guess you can say that this was really just the first chapter.  Ben and I dedicated 2012 to be the year of "fixing Kristina."  We realized recently that the year was coming to a close.  We also realized that fixing problems and self improvement can not just be limited to a single year.  We should always strive to better ourselves.  In doing so, we are better able to help others.  The healthier I have become, the better I have become.  I am a better wife, a better mother, a better person all around.
     Seeing what this has done for me, makes me want to help others achieve the same thing.  I think that is my first new goal.  I had a year dedicated just to me, to help myself.  While I still plan on working on me, I want to spend this next year helping others with their own goals.  I am not sure how or when the opportunities will come, but I will use them when they do.  I can not wait to see where this road is going to go!

Chapter one is closing.  It is time for chapter two to begin.

The year in review


Fall 2011.  260 pounds, size 24.  Ben and I talked about the "year of Kristina."

New years 2012.  Not a resolution, but a promise from him, to me.  This was my year!


The photo that started it all...I hated how I looked.  It was time to change



245 pounds, size 22

230 pounds.  Size 22.  First time I could wear that sweater in forever!

   
210 pounds, size 20.  Those jeans were once my favorite! It felt great to wear them again.

200 pounds, and size 18!!  Man that felt good!

200 pounds.  Biggest difference was in my face, and neck.

                                      
190 pounds, Size 16 jeans, and a Large blouse.  Not extra large. I was officially out of the plus size section of the store!

185 pounds, and a size 14.  Feeling great, and looking gorgeous!

I have not been this size since probably my junior year of high school.

Getting some muscle!

My first 5k race.  I ran it in 34 minutes, and 15 seconds!

A little under a year since we said we would make it "my year."
178 pounds, having lost a total of 82 pounds.  Size 14 jeans now fitting better, in fact they are starting to get a little loose.
A much happier, healthier me.  I think chapter one is ending on a very good note!

    

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment